Design Director, Principal
Regional Managing Director
Responsible for leading the design activities of the office. Demonstrate design and innovation expertise in working with client-focused teams who are empowered to drive the strongest design solution for our clients. The role requires in-depth expertise in one or all areas of Hospitality, Food and Beverage, and Retail design. Strong team building and client relationship skills are a must.
Background & Skills
Bachelor's degree in Architecture, or Interior Design.
10+ years of experience in high-end hospitality interior design.
Use of complex three-dimensional design techniques, including hand sketches, computer-aided drafting (CAD), Adobe Photo Shop, Revit, Microsoft Office and related software to produce design drawings and construction documents.
- Play a major leadership role by orchestrating the work of project teams focused on design, development, and delivery of outstanding solutions for all phases on a client project.
- Actively engage in business development and be responsible for identifying and securing projects.
- Responsible for understanding and implementing client’s design vision, program and budget, while incorporating operators’ standards. Act as client manager with respect to design direction.
- Confer with client to determine factors affecting planning interior environments, such as budgets, architectural preferences, and purpose and function.
- Recommend interior space planning solutions in relationship to the architectural shell.
- Establish overall design concepts and maintain continuity of those concepts through design development, construction documentation and construction administration.
- Render design ideas in form of paste-ups or drawings.
- Liaise with client frequently on interior design, including space and area planning, functionality, theme, layout, FF&E. Determine the quality level of finishes.
- Develop with the Design Manager or Director of Operations, staff utilization/work plan and scheduling.
- Review and detail shop drawings and coordinate with other professionals, such as project managers, architects, engineers-mechanical, electrical, to ensure job success.
- Coordinate with FF&E designers to ensure installation of carpeting, fixtures, accessories, draperies, paint and wall coverings, art work, furniture, and related items.
- Select or design furnishings, art works, and accessories.
- Participate in development of presentation material and help maintain graphic quality and content.
- Lead client meetings through design development, then as required throughout the documentation phases.
- Provide strong organizational, communication and relationship management skills.
- Review cost estimates and value engineering solutions with project team in order to meet project budgets.
- Represent the firm at industry events and participate in speaking opportunities.
- Actively teach and share knowledge with design team members at all levels.